It’s simple to wirelessly transfer any files, photographs, or movies between your iPhone and Mac with AirDrop. As long as they have an Apple device and are nearby, you may also utilize AirDrop to share files with your loved ones. Here’s how to activate AirDrop and utilize it to move files from an iPhone to a Mac or vice versa.
How Does AirDrop Work?
In reality, AirDrop creates a WiFi network between two Apple devices using Bluetooth. Therefore, according to Apple, you need two Apple devices that are within Bluetooth range—roughly 30 feet—in order to perform AirDrop. Additionally, both devices must have AirDrop enabled, Bluetooth, and WiFi switched on.
How to Turn On AirDrop on an iPhone
Open the Control Center on an iPhone or iPad by swiping up on earlier models or sliding down on an iPhone X or later from the top-right corner to enable AirDrop. Next, pick AirDrop and decide who can send files to your iPhone by tapping and holding the WiFi button.
1. Open the Control Center on your iPhone. On an iPhone X or a newer model, you can do this by swiping down from the top-right corner of your screen. If you have an older iPhone, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access the Control Center.
2. Then tap and hold the WiFi button. The upper-left corner of your screen will display the WiFi signal as three curved lines in a blue circle.
3. Next, tap AirDrop.
4. Finally, choose who can send files to your device. If you choose Contacts Only, only files from contacts will be sent to you. If you select Everyone, files can be sent to your device from any nearby Apple device. AirDrop can be disabled at any time by choosing Receiving Off.
How to Turn On AirDrop On a Mac
Right-click anywhere on your Mac desktop to enable AirDrop. Then, select AirDrop from the drop-down menu by clicking Go at the top of your screen. Finally, select who can transmit files to your Mac by clicking Allow me to be Discovered at the bottom of the pop-up box.
- On your Mac’s desktop, click and select “right-click.” On your Mac, you can also do this by opening a Finder window.
- Click Go in the Apple Menu Bar after that. At the very top of your screen, you will see this.
- Select AirDrop next. On your keyboard, you can simultaneously hit the Command, Shift, and R keys to omit the previous step.
- Then Select Allow others to find me. This information can be seen in the pop-up window’s bottom.
- Decide who can transmit files to your device lastly. If you choose Contacts Only, only files from contacts will be sent to you. If you select Everyone, any nearby Apple device can use AirDrop to send files to your device. AirDrop can be disabled at any time by choosing Receiving Off.
How To AirDrop From an iPhone to a Mac
Open the file you wish to share on your iPhone before using AirDrop to send it to another iPhone or Mac. Select AirDrop by tapping the Share button after that. Lastly, pick the device to which you wish to transmit the file.
- On your iPhone, open the file you wish to AirDrop. Open the Photos app or the Camera app, for instance, if you wish to share a picture.
- After that, click Share. This is the symbol that resembles a box with an upward-pointing arrow. Depending on what you’re trying to share, you can find this indicator in various locations on the screen. By tapping and holding text, photos, and other items, you may also find it.
- Tap AirDrop next. Along with other applications, you will see this in a row.
- After that, decide the device you wish to transfer the files. You will see the recipient’s name and photo next to their device if you have them in your contacts list. In the absence of that, all you will see is a gray circle with the owner’s initials underneath it.
- The files will then be delivered to the Mac’s Downloads folder.
How to AirDrop From Mac to iPhone
Open a Finder window and choose a file or folder to transfer using AirDrop from a Mac to another Mac or an iPhone. Then choose AirDrop by clicking the Share icon located at the top of the Finder window. Lastly, pick the device to which you wish to transmit files.
- Choose the file you wish to AirDrop from your Mac.
- Then, click the Share button located at the window’s top of the Finder. This is the box-shaped icon with an arrow pointing up from it. Make sure to choose the file you wish to AirDrop if this is grayed out.
- Select AirDrop next.
- Double-click the iPhone recipient from the list to complete. A photo or video that you share will be sent to the iPhone’s Photos app.