Officials in Rancho Cordova, California said that a Tesla Model S “spontaneously caught fire” while driving on a highway, prompting them to send firefighters to the scene.
The Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District responded to a Tesla that was “engulfed in flames” due to a battery fire on Saturday afternoon, according to a tweet from the department.
Read more: Do You Work in the Field of Education or Social Service? Submit an Application to the Florida Hometown Heroes Housing Program and Receive a $25,000 Grant.
Sacramento’s Metro Fire Department posted a video online showing firefighters dousing the car with water as passing cars looked on. Photos taken after the fire revealed the entire front hood of the vehicle had been completely charred.
Two fire engines, a water tender, and a ladder truck were dispatched to the scene, and 6,000 gallons of water were used to douse the blaze. Fire officials said that crews used jacks to gain access to the undercarriage and put out the fire/cool the battery.
Authorities have confirmed that nobody was hurt in the incident.
In a tweet, the fire department explained that the fire started “spontaneously” in the vehicle’s battery compartment while it was moving at highway speeds on Eastbound Highway 50.
Read more: In Need of Some Emergency Food Money? To the Tune of $234 Million, the Nutrition Program Helps New York Families. Take a Look at the Qualifications of the Participants
“As the battery cells continued to catch fire, the fire was put out with about 6,000 gallons of water. It’s a relief that nobody got hurt.”